Tuesday, February 12, 2008

DEAD HEAR 6

A few examples of the scholars addressing the Deceased:
Imam Abu Hanifa addressing the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam][provided by Sidi Abul Hasan][.....] [a] quote mentioned by the Hanafi Imam that some declared as a Mujtahid, Imam ibn al-Humam (d. 861 AH), mentioning from Imam Abu Hanifa in his Fath al-Qadir (Sharh al-Hidaya) saying:

أن زيارة النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قريبة من الوجوب ولما زار الإمام أبو حنيفة المدينة المنورة وقف أمام قبره الشريف وقال يا أكرم الثقلين يا كنز الورى *** جد لي بجودك وأرضني برضاك أنا طامع في الجود منك ولم يكن *** لأبي حنيفة في الأنام سواك

The crucial bit was translated by someone as follows:"When Imam Abu Hanifa visited Medina, he stood in front of the honorable grave (of the Prophet) and said, "O, most honorable of the Two Weighty Ones (humankind and jinn)! O, treasure of mankind, shower your generosity upon me and please me with your pleasure. I am aspiring for your generosity, and there is no one for Abu Hanifa in the world but you."[end of quote from Sidi Abul Hasan]

The Hanafi faqih Kamal al-Din ibn al-Humam also said in Fath al-qadir (2:337), book of hajj, chapter on visiting the Prophet:wa yas'alu allaha hajatahu mutawassilan ilallah bi hadrati nabiyyihi thumma qala yas'alu al-nabiyya sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam al-shafa`ata fa yaqulu ya rasulallah as'aluka al-shafa`ata ya rasulallah atawassalu bika ilallahThen let him ask Allah for his need, using Allah's Prophet as his means to Allah; (then he said): Let him ask the Prophet for his intercession and say: O Messenger of Allah, I am asking you for your intercession; O Messenger of Allah, I am using you as my means to Allah.

A narration relayed by the Huffaz of addressing the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] at his blessed graveal-

Hafiz Ibn al-Jawzi relates in Kitab al-Wafa (p. 818 #1536): (al-hafiz) Abu Bakr al-Minqari said: I was with (al-hafiz) al-Tabarani and (al-hafiz) Abu al-Shaykh in the Prophet's Mosque, in some difficulty. We became very hungry. That day and the next we didn't eat. When it was time for `isha, I came to the Prophet's grave and I said: "O Messenger of Allah, we are hungry, we are hungry" (ya rasullallah al-ju` al-ju`)!

Then I left. Abu al-Shaykh said to me: Sit. Either there will be food for us, or death. I slept and Abu al-Shaykh slept. al-Tabarani stayed awake, researching something. Then an `Alawi (a descendant of `Ali) came knocking at the door with two boys, each one carrying a palm-leaf basket filled with food.

We sat up and ate. We thought that the children would take back the remainder but they left everything behind. When we finished, the `Alawi said: O people, did you complain to the Prophet? I saw him in my sleep and he ordered me to bring something to you.