Tuesday, February 12, 2008

DEAD HEAR 3

Proofs of the Prophets addressing the Deceased:
1)
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) came to the graveyard and said:"Peace be upon you! (O) the abode of the believing people and we, if God so wills, are about to join you. I love to see my brothers. They (the hearers) said: Aren't we your brothers-Messenger of Allah? He said: You are my companions, and our brothers are those who have, so far, not come into the world." (Sahih Muslim, Book 002, Number 0482)

2) Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace The upon him) went out to the graveyard and said:"Peace be upon you, the abode of the believing people. and If Allah so wills we shall join you.... (and so on and so forth) like the hadith narrated by Isma'il b. Ja'far except the words of Malik: Then some persons would be driven away from my Cistern."
(Sahih Muslim, Book 002, Number 0483)

3)

Sulaiman b. Buraida narrated on the authority of his father that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) used to teach them when they went out to the graveyard. One of the narrators used to say this in the narration transmitted on the authority of Abu Bakr:"Peace be upon the inhabitants of the city (i. e. graveyard)." In the hadith transmitted by Zuhair (the words are): "Peace be upon you, the inhabitants of the city, among the believers, and Muslims, and God willing we shall join you. I beg of Allah peace for us and for you."
(Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 2128)

4)
A'isha reported (that whenever it was her turn for Allah's Messenger [may peace be upon him] to spend the night with her) he would go out towards the end of the night to al-Baqi' and say:"Peace be upon you, abode of a people who are believers. What you were promised would come to you tomorrow, you receiving it after some delay; and God willing we shall join you. O Allah, grant forgiveness to the inhabitants of Baqi' al-Gharqad. Qutaiba did not mention his words:" would come to you".
(Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 2126)

5)
Aisha said: Messenger of Allah, how should I pray for them? He said:"Say, Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, Go willing, join you."

(Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 2127)

6) HADITH OF FOOT STEP
Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, "When a human being is laid in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their foot steps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask him: What did you use to say about this man, Muhammad ? He will say: I testify that he is Allah's slave and His Apostle. Then it will be said to him, 'Look at your place in the Hell-Fire. Allah has given you a place in Paradise instead of it.' " The Prophet added, "The dead person will see both his places. But a non-believer or a hypocrite will say to the angels, 'I do not know, but I used to say what the people used to say! It will be said to him, 'Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by reciting the Quran).' Then he will be hit with an iron hammer between his two ears, and he will cry and that cry will be heard by whatever approaches him except human beings and jinns." (Book23, Hadith 422) Bukhari)

7)HADITH OF A COMPANION HEARING


Ibn Shamasah said: We went to Amr ibn al-'As and he was about to die. He wept for a long time and turned his face towards the wall. His son said: Did the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) not give you tidings of this? Did the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) not give you tidings of this? He (the narrator) said: He turned his face (towards the audience) and said: The best thing which we can count upon is the testimony that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah. Verily I have passed through three phases.(The first was one) in which I found myself averse to none else more than I was averse to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and there was no other desire stronger in me than the one that I should overpower him and kill him. Had I died in this state, I should have been definitely one of the denizens of Fire.When Allah instilled the love of Islam in my heart, I came to the Apostle (peace be upon him) and said: Stretch out your right hand so that I may pledge my allegiance to you. He stretched out his right hand. I withdrew my hand. He (the Holy Prophet) said: What has happened to you, O' Amr? I replied: I intend to lay down a condition. He asked: What condition do you intend to put forward? I said: I should be granted pardon. He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Are you not aware of the fact that Islam wipes out all the previous (misdeeds)?

Verily migration wipes out all the previous (misdeeds) and verily the pilgrimage wipes out all the (previous) misdeeds.After that no one was more dear to me than the Messenger of Allah and none was more sublime in my eyes than he. Never could I pluck up courage to catch a full glimpse of his face due to its splendour. So if I am asked to describe his features, I cannot do that for I have not eyed him fully. Had I died in this state I had every reason to hope that I should have been among the dwellers of Paradise.Then we were responsible for certain things (in the light of which) I am unable to know what is in store for me. When I die, let neither female mourner nor fire accompany me. When you bury me, fill my grave well with earth, then stand around it for a time which a camel is slaughtered and its meat is distributed so that I may enjoy your intimacy and (in your company) ascertain what answer I can give to the messengers (angels) of Allah.
(Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Number 0220)



Explaining this hadith Ibn Qayyim RA says... in his Al-Rooh
فإذا دفنتموني فسنوا على التراب سنا ثم أقيموا حول قبري قدر ما تنحر جزور ويقسم لحمها حتى أستأنس بكم وأنظر ما أراجع به رسل ربي فدل على أن الميت يستأنس بالحاضرين عند قبره ويسر بهم"
This is a dalil that the dead are aware of those near their graves and ..."and Imam Navavi RA says... in his famous commentry on Sahih Muslim

. وَقَوْله : ( ثُمَّ أَقِيمُوا حَوْل قَبْرِي قَدْر مَا يُنْحَر جَزُور وَيُقْسَم لَحْمُهَا حَتَّى أَسْتَأْنِس بِكُمْ وَأَنْظُر مَاذَا أُرَاجِع بِهِ رُسُل رَبِّي ) فِيهِ فَوَائِد مِنْهَا إِثْبَات فِتْنَة الْقَبْر وَسُؤَال الْمَلَكَيْنِ وَهُوَ مَذْهَب أَهْل الْحَقّ , وَمِنْهَا اِسْتِحْبَاب الْمُكْث عِنْد الْقَبْر بَعْد الدَّفْن لَحْظَة نَحْو مَا ذَكَر لِمَا ذَكَر . وَفِيهِ أَنَّ الْمَيِّت يَسْمَع حِينَئِذٍ مَنْ حَوْلَ الْقَبْر "
and in it is that the dead hear those near the grave at this time..."

8)


It is narrated by Abu Na'im and Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal that the great Tabi'i (a person who met the Sahabah) Thabit al-Bannani, used to say what means "Oh Allah! If you would give anyone the honour of making salah in the qabr (grave), give me that honour." Abu Na'im narrates that on the day of Thabit's death, Jubair radiyallahu ^anhuma (Radiyallahu ^anhuma means: May Allah be pleased with both of them.) one of the great Tabi'in also, said what means: "I swear by Allah who created me, other than whom there is no Lord, I put Thabit al-Bannani in his his qabr that day when we buried him and with me was a person named Humaid at-Taweel and when we had finished putting the stones on the qabr one of the bricks fell down and I saw Thabit al-Bannani making salat in his grave." In other words, Allah accepted the du'a of this great waliyy (a pious muslim who has reached a high rank) to make salat in his grave. This is a sahih Hadith narrated by Ahmad ibn Hanbal and Abu Na'im.

9)In another sahih narration by Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah, Prophet Mohammad said what means that if anyone buries his brother, that he must put on a beautiful kafan for the dead person because they visit one another in the grave (innahum yatazaawarun).